Admission to Ph.D. Programme will be offered in the following two categories:
- Institute Research Scholar (RS) which is stipendiary.
- Sponsored Scholar (SS) which is non-stipendiary and is only applicable to candidates employed in reputed industry / government organizations / research institutions and with a minimum experience of 5 years.
Reservation for SC/ST/OBC is applicable as per Govt. of India rules.
- To Download Book of Ph.D Regulation Click Here.
- To Download Advertisement for Ph.D Admission Autumn Semester 2016-17 Click Here.
- No separate interview letter / communication will be made to any individual.
- Visit institute website: www.nitjsr.ac.in regularly for more details and updates.
The admission to Ph.D. Programme will be on the basis of weightage as given below:
- Overall academic performance (to be fixed by the Institute): 70%
Interview conducted by the Department : 30%
All candidates selected for admission shall be required to deposit the requisite Institute fee at the time of admission.
A scholar will have to register in each semester till the submission of thesis, by payment of fees as applicable. Generally, registration for Autumn Semester will be in July/August and Spring Semester in December/January.
Each scholar (RS/SS category) admitted to Ph.D. Programme will complete a minimum of 12 credits and maximum of 20 credits through course work allocated by Doctoral Scrutiny Committee (DSC). If a required course is not available in the existing curricula, instructions in the subject will be imparted in "self study" mode and which shall have all evaluation components as prescribed for a regular course. All Research Scholars will have to obtain minimum grade of 'C' in individual subjects so assigned. If the grade obtained by a candidate in any subject is below 'C', the candidate is required to repeat that subject and clear it with grade not less than C. Should the candidates fails to clear the coursework within one year of the course enrollment, the DSC may review the performance of the candidate and recommend the change of course work.
Normally, a candidate has to devote at least three years of study and research. Research scholar in the SS category will have a minimum residential requirement of one year which may be reduced to one semester by the DSC to complete the course work.
A candidate is required to give a seminar talk on the topic of his research work within one year of enrolment or within one year of completion of the course work as the case may be. The seminar talk will be delivered to an open audience in the presence of the DSC and DAC (PG & R). If the seminar is satisfactory, the candidate will be allowed to register for the degree. However, if the DSC and DAC (PG & R) is not satisfied by the seminar talk, the candidate will be required to deliver another talk with suitable modification or improvement.
Monitoring the Work and Progress
Each research scholar will be assigned a Supervisor (not more than two) by the Department. The research work and progress of the scholars will be monitored by the DSC specially appointed for each scholar. The work and progress of the scholars in each semester will be assessed by the DSC and the thesis supervisor and only on satisfactory progress as approved by the DSC, the scholars will be allowed to continue in the programme.
Stipend / Financial Assistance
Institute research scholarship is available to full-time research scholars (RS) who are not receiving any financial support from other agencies or State or Central government. They are required to assist the Department in academic work for at least 8 hours per week as per guidelines issued by MHRD. Govt. of India in addition to satisfying other conditions for award of/ renewal of the research scholarship. The present rates of research scholarship is as follows:
|Qualification ||1st and 2nd Year ||3rd and 4th year |
| M. Tech./ME ||25,000/- per month ||28,000/- per month|
|M. Sc./MCA/MBA/Other Master's Degree ||25,000/- per month ||28,000/-per month|
|B. Tech./BE||25,000/- per month ||28,000/-per month |
No Research scholar shall be permitted to accept or hold any appointment, paid or otherwise or receive any emoluments, salary, stipend or any other scholarship during the tenure. However, Sponsored Scholar (SS) will not get any Research Scholarship.
Field of Specialisation
Broad field of research in the different departments are as mentioned below:
- Structural Engineering
- Concrete Technology
- Soil-structure interaction
- Earthquake Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Buckling, vibration and stability of composite plate / shell
- Stability analysis, foundation engg., ground improvement, river bank filtration
- Reinforced earth, environmental geo-technique, ground improvement
- Transportation engineering
- Surface water hydrology, river flood flow modeling, water resources systems analysis and rain water harvesting, watershed management
|Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Instrumentation and control
- Control system
- Power systems
- AC drives, application of power electronics in power system
- Power system and protection
- Renewable energy systems
- Electrical machines and drives
|Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Industrial Control Systems
- Non-conventional power generation
- Instrumentation and control systems
- VLSI and embedded systems
- Solar energy
- I.C Engine, Gas turbines, Power plants, Combined cycle, Energy systems.
- Heat transfer & Mass transfer
- CFD, integrated energy systems, fluid flow
- Thermal engineering
- Renewable energy
- Machine Design, CAD /CAM
- Value engineering
- TPM and TQM
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Composite materials
- Process integration, pinch technology
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Process metallurgy
- Corrosion engineering
- Phase transformation, structure - property relationship
- Physical metallurgy
- Iron and steel making
- Extractive metallurgy
- Mechanical metallurgy: fatigue, fracture and failure analysis
- Geology, mineral beneficiation, bio-hydro metallurgy, bio-technology
- Metallic glass
- Hydro metallurgy
- Fluid Mechanics & Thermal Engineering
- Structural Mechanics
- Manufacturing processes
- Manufacturing management
- Product design and development
- Rapid prototype and reverse engineering
- Industrial engineering and management
- Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Lean Manufacturing
- Toyota Production system
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Energy management
- Surface science
- Environmental chemistry , waste disposal management
- Biophysical, analytical chemistry, surface chemistry
- Materials science
- Software Quality and Reliability, Supply Chain Management
- Fuzzy logic and its applications
- Operation research and statistics
- Multivariate polynomial system
- Numerical analysis
- Fractional calculus and integrated equations
All disputes pertaining to the counseling and admission for the Ph.D. programme of NIT Jamshedpur shall fall within the jurisdiction of Jamshedpur, Jharkhand only.
The statement made in the information brochure and all other information contained herein is believed to be correct at the time of publication. However, the Institute reserves the right to make at any time without notice, changes in and additions to the regulations, conditions governing the admission, requirements, seats, fees and any other information, or statements contained in this information brochure. No responsibility will be accepted by the Institute / Chairman - PG & R Admission for hardship or expenses encountered by its students / any other person for such changes, additions, omissions or errors, no matter how they are caused. Address for correspondence.
Address for correspondence
Associate Dean (Academic: PG & R)
National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur
PO RIT Jamshedpur 831 014
Telephone: 0657-2374248, 23724245
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com